Medico-Legal Services - Capacity Assessment
Our independent Consultant Psychologists, Consultant Psychiatrists, and Neuropsychologists can provide assessments of an individual’s capacity. Assessments encompass various areas such as an individual’s capacity to manage finance and affairs, to make a will, or to enter into a relationship
Capacity Assessment includes:
- Clinical consultation with the individual who is being assessed for capacity
- Consideration of all relevant information, including medical records
- Assessment given of the individual's current psychological functioning, mental state and cognitive abilities (this can be through formal assessment of neuropsychological functions, observations during assessment and feedback from significant others)
Where appropriate, outcome of the assessment is considered with recommendations to ensure clarity and, where necessary, pathways to be followed
Information on Capacity
The Mental Capacity Act (2015) sets out the legal framework for assessing capacity. The principles that apply for the purpose of the act include:
- The individual must be assumed to have capacity unless it has been made apparent that they lack capacity.
- The individual must not be treated as unable to make a decision unless all practical steps have been taken to help the individual to do so, without success.
- The individual is not to be treated as unable to make a decision merely because he makes an unwise decision.
Individuals can be shown to lack capacity in relation to a particular matter, if, at the material time they are unable to decide in relation to the matter due to a condition that may cause an impairment to the functioning of their mind and brain.
An individual can be shown to lack capacity if the following criteria are met:
- The individual is unable to understand information relevant to the decision.
- The individual is unable to remember and retain information relevant to the decision.
- The individual is unable to consider important issues long enough to then be able to formulate an opinion.
- The individual is unable to communicate their decision or thoughts (by talking, sign or any other means).
Moving Towards Good Mental Health Together
What is Mental Illness?
Mental illness is a general term for a group of illnesses that may include symptoms that can affect a person’s thinking, perceptions, mood, or behaviour. Mental illness can make it difficult for someone to cope with work, relationships, and other demands. Our team are here to help.
Our services are confidential and adhere to GDPR guidelines as well as the confidentiality requirements of all UK regulatory and professional bodies.
We focus on getting you the right remote or online help anywhere in the country in the comfort of your home. Our service integrates with other forms of ongoing health and mental care being provided by others e.g. GP, hospital, voluntary sector, etc.
Our team will work with you from your initial assessment, diagnosis, and treatment. At each step we take time with you to reflect, reassess and refocus to ensure that you are heading towards to lifestyle that you desire.
Get the right assessment, diagnosis and a holistic treatment plan tailored to you.
Be prescribed the right medical care to treat the symptoms restricting your life.
Understand your condition, work alongside our specialists and with your body and mind to prevent your symptoms from dominating your life.
Speak with our Experienced Mental Health Support Team
Book an initial assessment and attend your first appointment from the comfort of your home. We offer various payment plans to suit your needs.
Our mission is to help you to live a healthy future free from mental health symptoms. Our highly trained psychologists and psychiatrists each have their own specialisms, and all pull together to provide a tailored service to cater to your individual needs.
Our Customised Approach
1. Work with you to do a thorough assessment leading to a tailored treatment plan that we we will update together as your treatment progresses.
2. Ongoing assessment of the right medical care to treat your symptoms. Helping you to live a more fulfilled life.
3. Preventing your symptoms from controlling your life and allowing you to take control and grow.
Why Health Choices Global?
- We provide national coverage across the UK covering all spectrums of mental health.
- Our Mental Health Support teamwork with you throughout your journey to achieve the results that you desire. Transforming quality of life and family life.
- We’re available 7 days a week providing remote appointments that are non-restrictive and give you the privacy and assurance building trust.
- Our team are members of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.