Headoffice: 2 Harley Street London - 0333 3390115 - Our Helpline is only for patients and clinicans. For all other enquires use the contact box.

Right To Choose


What is NHS's right to choose?

NHS waiting lists to receive an assessment for autism or ADHD, respectively, are often very long. Understandably, many people on these waiting lists want to explore other options. Some people consider a private assessment, while others use their right to choose.

Right to choose gives you the legal right to choose the service or hospital that provides your physical and mental health care. This means that if your GP refers you for mental health treatment, in most cases, you can choose the provider that best suits your needs.

You can choose which consultant-led team will be in charge of your treatment, as long as the team or individual requested is in England and is fully qualified to provide the treatment you require.

Who is eligible for the right to choose?

If your GP surgery is registered in England and you've been referred by your GP to a consultant or specialist in mental health, you have the legal right to choose your mental health service provider.

However, you do not have the right to choose if:

  • You require emergency treatment
  • You're currently serving a prison sentence, or if you're on temporary release
  • You're detained in prescribed accommodation
  • You serve in the armed forces
  • You've already received care and treatment for the condition
  • You're detained in a secure hospital environment
  • You're detained in a hospital under the Mental Health Act of 1983


How do I exercise my right to choose with Health Choices Global?

We will need to see a referral letter from your GP detailing the following information.

  • Your full name
  • Your contact details
  • Any symptoms you are experiencing
  • The mental health service you require
  • Confirmation from your clinical commissioning group (ICB) that they're happy to fund the assessment

Please note that failure to provide this information will likely result in delays in your assessment. We have the availability to provide a next week assessment. 

Contacting your ICB

You can find out details of your local ICB, including how to contact them on the NHS website. When speaking with your ICB, please ask them to email us at operations@healthchoicesglobal.com with any further correspondence.

Here are some Questions and Answers. 

I've had an assessment and haven't been diagnosed with ADHD. I want a second opinion. Can I use the right to choose?

If you were assessed for ADHD by an NHS consultant psychiatrist, then you can only have a second opinion if you pay privately. However, if your initial diagnosis was a private one, you can access an assessment from Health Choices Global under your right to choose, as long as your GP is prepared to refer you.

What if my GP won't refer me? 

It may be that your GP is refusing to refer you due to funding concerns and not a clinical reason. In this instance, you can ask them to read the NHS information governing patient choice.

 What if i wasnt offered the choice? 

This is a legal right. If you're not offered a choice at the point of referral, ask your doctor why and say that you wish to go through your options.

Can I self-refer?  

No. Current NHS rules state that the referral must come from your GP. You can self-refer if you are paying privately.